Thursday, October 2, 2008

His mercies are new every morning


“I wish I could start over!”

Those were the words of my 10 year old son as he "fell apart at the seams" one afternoon. For no apparent good reason, he was completely unreasonable and uncooperative and couldn’t concentrate on any particular task despite his desires to do so. In my frustration, I recalled that the weekend had been packed with activity including camping in the woods, playing in his junior football game, and doing homework. Though he wouldn't admit it, I knew he was exhausted. He takes after his mother and requires a great deal of sleep in order to be coherent and cooperative. If we don’t get that, things can get a little ugly in our house! Despite multiple attempts, he just couldn't pull himself together. He fell into a puddle of whimpers, whines and cries that sounded more like my 4 year old, than my oldest and most responsible one. Through the tears, he explained to me that though he wanted to calm down, he just couldn’t. He didn't like the way he was acting and he wanted to feel different, but he didn't know how. Finally in an exasperated sigh, he put his head in his hands and sobbed, “I wish I could just start over!”

Oh, how often I have felt that same way! Whether it’s sleep deprivation or any other thing that sets me off my game, it’s a miserable feeling to “feel” one way when you want to “feel” another. How marvelous is our God that despite our “feelings”, He never changes. He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow and His mercies are new every morning. Perhaps our circumstances haven’t changed, but neither has He. He is still the sovereign ruler of the universe and I am finding that He alone is my peace (Ephesians 2:14).

Just recently, I had one of those days. Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. I found myself depressed and downcast. I had quite the little self-pity party and wondered where my peace had gone. I knew I should probably pray and read my Bible, but I just couldn’t, or wouldn’t. So my dear beloved husband prayed over me and sent me to bed, knowing a good night’s rest would be one of the most beneficial things for me.

About 3:30 in the morning, I was awakened, most surely by the Spirit as I felt Him whisper across my soul, “Seek…don’t sleep. Seek….don’t sleep.” In my fatigue and stubbornness, I laid there for two hours wrestling with that thought. Finally, I arose and opened my devotional. Of course, He met me there in His word and spoke right to my heart. The verses for the day were the following:

The fruit of righteousness will be peace; the effect of righteousness will be quietness and confidence forever. Isaiah 32:17

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things and the God of peace will be with you. Philippians 4: 8-9

So, if I want peace, I must seek righteousness. I must arise and seek Him and His word. I must fall on my face and cry out to Him and He alone will give me peace. I must fill my mind with the wonderful things that are true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, of good repute, excellent and praiseworthy – things that are of God. When I dwell upon the things of God and memorize His word, there is no room for self-pity and depression. Oh, how my perspective had changed that morning. I am so thankful God allows us to “start over” with new mercies every morning.

For His compassions never fail. They are new every morning. Lamentations 3:22-23

2 comments:

Kristy said...

I love the Isaiah 32 verse. I always need peace no matter what situation I'm going through, but the effects of righteousness is quietness & confidence! Jesus' righteousness in me is quietness and confidence - in all things good, bad, scary. I'm so glad that His mercies are new every morning because there are days that by the end, I am not living in quietness & confidence, but there is just something about a new day...
Thank you so much for your insights! I know that I will go back to that Isaiah verse again and again.

Anonymous said...

The verse from Phillipians has been on my radar lately also. I have been anxious over running the marathon Oct. 19th. I had the verses prior running through my head. "Do not be anxious about anything, but through prayer and petition, present your requests to God and the peace of God which passes all understanding will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." It was while I was in church that God whispered to me to go to my bible and keep reading. I LOVE THAT!! This is what you should think on. Sweet!

I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances. Ezekiel 36: 26-27