Friday, October 24, 2008

Bearing One Another's Burdens


By the grace of God, I was able to cross the finish line in a recent road race with my dear sister in Christ and running partner. God worked in some amazing ways during the run to help me keep my pace and stay strong. Here are just a few of the ways:

  • His precious word hidden in my heart and resounding in my brain as my feet pounded the pavement.
  • Many faithful volunteers handing out water, oranges, and even chocolate!
  • Great Christian songs with inspiring lyrics on my iPod.
  • A random runner wearing a shirt with a verse on it that I’d never read before. (Zephaniah 3:17)


One way surpasses them all though: the way He strengthened me through the body of Christ. I received great encouragement and inspiration through my sister in Christ, as she ran alongside me. We cheered each other on and challenged each other along the way. Crossing the finish line with her is a moment I will never forget. She is the one in the picture waving and smiling. I’m the one that is in her arms about to collapse. This is a great visual of what happens within the body of Christ as we rejoice with one another and we bear one another’s burdens in life.

“Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ.” Galatians 6:2

Since I was adopted into the body of Christ in recent years, I have been blessed to experience the love of this great family under our Almighty Father. I have learned so much during this time about what it means to truly love one another and have authentic fellowship. In Blackaby’s “Experiencing God” study, he explains that the Greek word, koinonia, is most often translated “fellowship” in the Bible. He describes it as the most complete expression of a love (agape) relationship with God. He says that when you live in this kind of love relationship with God, you will have the same quality of loving fellowship with other believers. He also says you cannot be in fellowship with God and His Son and not walk in godly fellowship with one another!

“If anyone says, ‘I love God’, yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen cannot love God, whom he has not seen. And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.” I John 4:20-21

“If we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.” I John 1:7

I have found this to be so true in my own life. The more I know God, the more I love Him, and the more I love Him, the more I want to be surrounded by other believers. I absolutely adore the followers of Jesus Christ and I find the more they love Him, the more I want to be with them. There seems to be a supernatural kinship between believers whether they've known each other a few minutes or a few decades. I am continually blessed when I meet another believer for the first time and have the feeling that I’ve known her all my life. Being daughters of the Most High God unites us in a way that transcends human understanding.

There are so many things I love about being a Christian and following Christ, but experiencing koinonia with the family of believers is one of the most treasured. I have never experienced such a great love from people outside my own biological family. I have rejoiced with them in times of joy and wept with them in times of sorrow and they are both equally sweet. Though we will each stand alone before God on judgment day, He allows us to walk through this life together, hand in hand. In fact, He commands us to do so. He does not expect us to do it alone. He brings along people to help carry the load and extend a helping hand. I have sensed the presence of His Spirit through other believers in so many ways. There have been times when I could not find the words to pray what the Spirit was groaning in intercession (Romans 8:29), but these dear people spoke out words in prayer on my behalf. They have stood in the gap for me in so many ways. During times when I most needed encouragement, I have received unexpected phone calls and emails from my sisters saying something like, “God laid you on my heart today for some reason and I just want you to know I'm praying for you." How did they know? Because the same Spirit lives inside of them that lives inside of me and He prompted them to respond to His call. I have learned to never ignore it when He pricks my heart to reach out to someone specific. How gracious is our loving Father that He gives us one another! We need each other. Each of us is a vital part in the body of Christ and when we walk in the light of Christ, we are in perfect union.

And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it. 1 Corinthians 12:26

No comments:

I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances. Ezekiel 36: 26-27