Sunday, October 12, 2008

Be Content With What You Have

Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have.
Hebrews 13:5

God spoke to my heart and brought me deep conviction through this verse last summer. It was during a time when I was pouting over the decision to stay in our modest home instead of building a new, big and beautiful home in the woods. Through prayer, his Word, and other believers God made it clear that we were not to move. But that didn’t make it any easier to be “content” at that time. How could I be content with what I have knowing what I could have? But, God is faithful and over time He did just that. He comforted my heart and brought me a deep contentment in our present home as I settled into staying put.

Recently though, the more time I spend at home, the more I notice all that needs to be done here. In my plight to become a Proverbs 31 wife, I have realized I must be careful that I don’t fall into the sin of idolatry of my home. I must remember it's about the people here, not the stuff. Just like it says in I Corinthians 10:12, “be careful if you think you are standing firm that you don’t fall”. And that’s just what I did in my endeavor to redecorate. I fell by letting this desire become an idol in my life, distracting me and consuming my thoughts that should be on Jesus and knowing Him.

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:21

My treasure had become having the perfect home instead of being content in Christ. Getting my new “Safari” paint on the walls had become much more important than it should have been. I’m not saying that having nice things is a sin, or even building a big new beautiful house in the woods is a sin. It’s not. But the place it holds in my heart should never take the rightful place of Christ, as it had for me during these past few weeks. As much as I hate to admit it, it was true. It became painfully clear to me when I sat down to pray or read my Bible and found myself daydreaming about what my home would look like when it was all “done”. It was as if I was saying “when that's done, then I’ll be content.” I thought about how many times I have done that, basing my contentment on my worldly, temporal circumstances. When I get my house the way I want it, then I’ll be content. When this or that happens, then I’ll be content. All of this caused me to take another look at that verse, “be content with what you have”. I started really thinking about what it means to be content and what exactly it is that I have. I was reminded of what Paul said in Philippians.

I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:11-13

Paul was clearly talking about a deep contentment that goes beyond physical and earthly comfort. After all, he’d been beaten, stoned, imprisoned, and persecuted and yet he was content. What was it that Paul had that gave him that true peace and contentment?
God showed me the answer even as I pondered what picture to put with this blog. What picture would capture what I have and what God calls me to be content with? What do I have? Putting a picture of my home would be silly. My home is just a place to lie my head and could be taken away in a tornado. What about putting a picture of my family? But I don’t really even “have” them. They all belong to God and could be taken away from me in illness or a car accident. Throughout the course of this week, He has shown me that what I have in Christ goes much deeper than any of that. The second part of Hebrews 13:5 is the answer to how I can always rest in contentment.

He Himself has said, "I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU”

That alone is the secret of being content. That is what I “have” and where my treasure really lies – in Christ, in my redemption, in my being bought by His ransom, in knowing Him and belonging to Him. No matter what happens, I am in Christ and He has promised never to leave me or forsake me. He has already given me every spiritual blessing under heaven (Ephesians 1:3). How dare I not be content?

So, the test splotches of my new Safari paint still stick out against the old paint like a sore thumb waiting to be painted in full. The old green chair still sits there waiting to be reupholstered. And yes, it still bothers me. But God is patiently teaching me and growing me. So next time I sit down and see the little splashes of Safari paint on the wall, I will remember where my true source of inner contentment comes from and rest in that.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

Oh I love your words today Christy. And how often do I find myself in this trap of wanting more to feel content - and searching for 'things' to fulfill that. When we know perfectly well that He provides us with what it means to really be content. Thanks for the reminder!!!
Still In Him - Stacy

Kristy said...

Thank you for your words and insights. He is more than enough to provide me contentment isn't He? In all circumstances, at all times, He has exactly what I need, if only I will seek Him. Thank you for this reminder.

Anonymous said...

Christy as I read in the bible this past week I was lead to Phillippians and the same verse. I have struggled with being content in ALL circumstances and after meditating and praying I came to the same conclusion...that I could lose everything, but if I have God I have everything I need....it may not be easy and I may pout, but if it came down to a choice of having God and my relationship with him or anything else...I would want God. Now I have to put this into daily practice and prayer...b/c this world really bombards us with temptations to worry, spend, boast, and other nasty little sins. I can't imagine going through life facing these sins without the shield of Jesus before me. Thank you for your words and affirming in my life what God has been saying to me for quite awhile...smile.
Lisa

I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances. Ezekiel 36: 26-27